Be honest.. you wish you could feel more rested and less agitated?
What if you could feel calm and carefree on most days?
Think about this for a moment, if you had a soothing daily routine to follow when you were stressed would you practice it?
The truth is your body craves routine. It craves soothing practices and wants to be nourished.
Let’s dive in.
What is Dinacharya?
The Ayurvedic daily routine or Dinacharya is the most satisfying routine you can add to your life to minimize these unwanted symptoms. Soothing and nourishing, oiling your body can provide great comfort to you and soothe your nervous system in times of stress.
But hang on….
Although this routine may seem overwhelming at first, it should take just about 20 minutes every morning (not including the exercise portion) to master.
What’s an ideal morning routine to stop anxiety?
Wake up at the same time every day
Scrape your tongue 10-12x to remove bacteria
- You can buy a fancy tongue scraper or use a spoon. I often glance at my tongue to determine my health, your tongue is a reflection of your digestion. If it has a thick coating, it may be time to cleanse your diet and add more greens.
Brush your teeth with an Ayurvedic toothpaste with neem and licorice.
- These herbs are bitter, astringent, antibacterial and aid digestion. Look for toothpaste without harsh chemicals like Triclosan and DSL.
Drink warm water with lemon.
- Squeeze half a fresh lemon into the water; you can add 1 tsp. of fresh ground ginger to aid digestion. Warm water cleanses and awakens the digestive tract, encouraging a healthy bowel movement daily.
- Going to the bathroom upon waking will help clear your digestive system. A healthy “motion” will have a soft brown log quality, little odor, and will be well-formed (like a banana).
- Undigested food, foul smell, mucus, blood, excessive dryness or “pellet-like” quality, as well as “sinkage”, indicates a digestive imbalance. Altering diet, lifestyle and using herbs will help better this.
Wash your eyes with rose water
- Rosewater helps soothe red eyes from too much computer work or too little sleep.
Self-Massage (or Abhyanga) is one of our best practices for feeling ageless.
- To soothe your nervous system, massaging your skin daily using a high-quality organic oil such as sesame, sunflower, or coconut.
- Warm the oil in your hands, then rub down, making sure not to skip any parts. Let the oil soak in for at least 20 minutes and then shower.
- My favorite Ayurvedic oil can be found here: https://kit.co/tarajgregorio/ayurveda
- Nasya, nasal lubrication can help soothe the nasal passages, particularly in dry months. Take 1 tsp. of nasal oil on your finger, insert into your nostril and massage.
- Bathe or shower to remove the excess oil. Look for non-toxic, all-natural soaps without chemicals; I’m loving rose soap at the moment.
- Use this oil>https://kit.co/tarajgregorio/ayurveda
Self-practice of meditation or yoga.
- Begin your day with something you love! Choose an exercise routine you enjoy and stick with it daily.
Eat warm, cooked foods during the day to improve digestive fire. Eat your most substantial meal at lunch; eating without distractions.
What is the best evening routine?
- Go to bed at the same time every night.
- Take a warm bath or enjoy a warm cup of milk with nutmeg, cardamom, and a little honey.
- Take Triphala with warm water, 1 hour before sleep. Triphala, an Ayurvedic herb can help reduce constipation and enhance your sleep.
- Feeling constipated? Take Triphala before bed. This is the one I love. https://kit.co/tarajgregorio/ayurveda
- Get to bed before 10:00 pm, as your body, renews itself between 10-2:00 am.
P.S. >>>Ready to learn more? Join one of my mini-courses: https://taragregorio.com/shop/
Shop all my favorite ayurvedic products here