#1 Teas For Kids
- Make a cup of tea with 1 tsp. of dried herbs to 1 cup of boiling water.
- Cover and let steep for 5 minutes.
- Strain and add honey for children over 1 year or you can add juice to their Sippy cup.
- For babies, you can add cooled chamomile tea to their bottles, adding maple syrup to sweeten if needed.
- Toddlers love Lemon Balm or Peppermint for kids 2+.
#2 Tinctures For Kids
- Studies show elderberry syrup can lower the duration of your flu and the need for medication.
- Younger than 3 months — 2 drops
- 3 to 6 months — 3 drops
- 6 to 9 months — 4 drops
- 9 to 12 months — 5 drops
- 12 to 18 months — 7 drops
- 18 to 24 months — 8 drops
- 2 to 3 years — 10 drops
- 3 to 4 years — 12 drops
- 4 to 6 years — 15 drops
- 6 to 9 years — 24 drops
- 9 to 12 years — 30 drops
#4 Decoctions For Kids
A Decoction is a method of extraction by boiling herbal or plant material to dissolve the chemicals of the material, which may include stems, roots, bark, and rhizomes.³
- This works best when the herb doesn’t taste well or you want to make a syrup, like an elderberry syrup.
#5 Homeopathy For Kids
Homeopathy is wonderful for kids. Please read my article:
- Everything you need to know about homeopathy HERE.
Home remedies for a cough and throat pain
Home remedies for cough and mucous
Home remedies for infants
- Using botanicals with infants requires more caution. The tincture doses are much less due to their body weight. Please see the dosing above.
- To administer a tincture to an infant, you can add tinctures to a bottle or place them in 1/3 cup of water. Use a syringe or straw to make sure your child gets the full amount.
- I wouldn’t use essential oils with children until they are 3 months of age. If you choose to, please use caution.
- Make sure you only use 1 drop per 1 tbs. of oil. They should be very diluted and avoid the eyes, ears, and any openings in the body. Never ingest essential oils with infants. (Unless advised by a professional as they are very estrogenic.)
Home remedies for a cough with toddlers
5 Home Cough Remedies
- Slippery elm lozenges – soothing and yummy to suck on
- Licorice & peppermint tea – so sweet you don’t need any honey
- Herb Pharm Lung expectorant – combine this tincture with a glycerine tincture for your medicine
- Andrographis- to prevent pneumonia
- Echinacea tincture
P.S. Are you ready to learn more? Grab my favorite herbal & homeopathic remedies for babies, toddlers, and big kids for just $11.
²Reference used: “Herbal Remedies for Children’s Health” by Rosemary Gladstar