Are you worried about using herbal medicine? and..wondering where to purchase them from.
Purchasing online from a reputable company is important to your health. And, quality matters.
Higher quality=better results. Check out this note from Lane.
How to trust your herbal products
The American Herbal Products Association (AHPA) was created in 1982 and is the voice for the herbal product industry.
When purchasing herbal products look for products that have full labeling. Look for the following on the label:
- The company notes the full name of the botanical on the product.
- They have an expiration date.
- Keep in mind, herbal tinctures or tonics that have alcohol can be preserved for years beyond their expiration date. If your product smells bad or you have a gut feeling it is not good, throw it away.
- The company offers dosing suggestions on the bottle. Herb Pharm has a whole line of products dedicated to children’s health and has the dosing on the bottle.
- Watch for any ‘red flags’, companies claiming for weight loss or extreme health declarations that seem impossible.
- Even if they have perfect labeling, you want to look for these additional concerns when consuming botanicals.
Concerns when using herbal medicine
The company you purchase from:
- Ensures quality control in each product
- Three companies I love Herb Pharm, Herbalist & Alchemist, and Moutain Rose Herbs offer this information online to their consumers.
- They use certified organic or pesticide-free plant products that are sustainably harvested.
- The plant is vibrant, tasty, potent, and consistent
- The product is proven safe through laboratory analysis.
- Tests each product to ensure there are no molds or contamination
- Does not practice product substitution – using another botanical as a substitution
- Is considerate of temperature control, freshness, and monitor’s quality.
- Can provide you with an organic certificate, kosher certificate, certificates of analysis, pesticide residue tests, GCMS printouts, and MSDS forms documents to ensure your safety.
Consumer concerns when using herbal medicine:
- Watch for potential allergic or idiosyncratic reactions, this is an abnormal sensitivity to a drug which may result in:
- severe skin reactions – look for skin rashes, itching, or hives
- anaphylaxis – along with skin rashes, the throat will feel like it is closing up and you have trouble breathing. Take a deep breath, this rarely happens.
- blood dyscrasias – a disease or disorder of the blood.
- hepatotoxicity – liver damage.
- fever or joint pain
Who is at risk for idiosyncratic reactions?
- Women who are 50+ or older
- Those who are currently using medications
- Or, If you have:
- Hepatic disease
- Renal ideas
- If you are malnourished and/or decreased weight
- If you consume alcohol regularly
- If you have possible enzyme deficiencies
The most prevalent source of adverse effects is among clients who are currently taking medication. If you are taking the following medication, please check with your doctor and community herbalist before ingesting a new herbal product.
Are you taking these medications?
- cardiac medications
- oral contraceptives
Please check with your doctor before consuming a new herbal product.
Idiosyncratic reactions occur very infrequently and are independent of dose, and are highly unpredictable. Herb/drug interactions present a higher risk than allergic reactions.
But, if you or your child’s partner has an allergy to the Asteraceae family, it would be important for you to keep this plant away from your child until they are older.
Other concerns when using botanicals:
- Watch for the timing of use – stop taking botanicals two weeks before surgery for fear of too much bleeding or a bad reaction.
- Dosage – always check for correct dosing when using any medication.
- Duration of use
Who are the 7 herbal companies you can fall in love with and trust?
- herbpharm.com – Great for kids!
- traditionalmedicinals.com – My favorite teas!
To search for a company you love, head over to the American Herbal Products Association directory of members.
9 MORE HERBAL COMPANIES TO TRUST
Breastfeeding Safe Products
- Sweet lactation tea; to soothe your nerves and boost milk supply
- Moms love the baby blues remedy blend
- I was so excited to find this company! They have some A-mazing products to restore your adrenal health. Let me know if you try any of them.
P.S. What herbal companies do you love? I’d love to know. Please share in the comments below. Thank you!