Wondering how to heal mastitis without antibiotics?
Here are my tried and true natural remedies to stop the pain fast.
But, hold on.
Always check with your doctor before using natural remedies if you have allergies or other health concerns.
What is mastitis? Here are 5 signs to look for:
Symptoms of Mastitis
- fever as high as 104
- local redness, hard tender inflamed area
***Fever is usually the key indicator here. The goal is to rest and ask for help. Usually, we are overdoing it and not sleeping.
5 Herbs for Mastitis Treatment
If you are experiencing recurrent breast infections, you may want to be evaluated for adequate nutritional intake. Have your vitamin levels checked and don’t be afraid to increase them to reduce mastitis and possibly postpartum depression.
Worried about herbs & nursing? Grab this freebie to feel more confident👇
#1 Postpartum Supplements
Have your doctor check for vitamin deficiency. Often we are immunity is lowered and we are exhausted. Have them check for:
- Zinc &
- Vitamin c
And.. I”ll say it again. Often extreme exhaustion or sleep deprivation is very common. Therefore adaptogens are necessary.
#2 Adaptogens for Stress
Lack of sleep, no help with the kids; Moms with mastitis are usually exhausted and adaptogens can help!
Look for herbs that are safe to take while breastfeeding.
- My 2 favorite would be:
- Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera)
- Reishi mushroom (Ganoderma lucidum)
Plugged duct or Mastitis
Milk ducts can become inflamed, tender, and distended creating a ‘plugged duct’, In mastitis, the plugged duct is accompanied by a fever and infection.
#3 Phytolacca Homeopathy
Homeopathy is fast, safe, and efficient when used correctly. Consider taking phytolacca if your symptoms fit.
Personally, I liked to take homeopathic medicine when I had mastitis. Along with Echinacea, this helped resolve the inflammation within minutes. If you are having the following symptoms, consider Phytolacca as a remedy. Click here to purchase.
1. Phytolacca: Symptoms
- Worse: Rising from bed, motion, swallowing hot drinks, cold, change of weather, rainy weather, breastfeeding.
- Better: Pressure, lying on the abdomen or left side, cold drinks, supporting the breasts (in breastfeeding ailments), bathing, resting, warmth, dry weather.
- Sore, cracked nipples, which hurt when the baby nurses.
- Pains radiate from the affected area and the breast is hard and lumpy.
- The patient may feel heavy with flu-like symptoms, or may have a breast abscess threatening.”
Dosing: Take 2 tablets, wait 20 minutes, take another 2 and you should see improvement.
#4 Natural Treatment for Mastitis
- Boost your immunity and reduce the need for antibiotics with Echinacea tincture.
- In Wise Woman Herbal for the Childbearing Years, Susan Weed recommends a dose of a 1/2 drop for every pound of body weight (so a 130 lb woman would take 65 drops).
- According to Kellymom.com, this dose can be taken up to 3-5 times per day. Susan Weed says even up to 12 times per day is fine and may be effective.
- You can purchase the tincture here.
- Dosing: 20-30 drops, 3-4x day
#5 Ashwagandha Tincture (Withania somnifera)
- Known as a Category 1, safe adaptogen during breastfeeding, Ashwagandha can help reduce stress and ease the anxiety that may be causing the inflammation during breastfeeding.
- You can purchase a tincture here.
- Dosing: 20-30 drops, 3-4x day
- Read more about natural treatment for breastfeeding moms @ Kelly Mom
6 Tips to avoid mastitis
- Use compresses of hot water, ginger root or chamomile infusion.
- Apply a poultice of freshly grated raw potato 2-3x day.
- Take 1/2-1 tsp. of Echinacea tincture every 2-4 hours.
- For high fever, drink teas of elderflower and spearmint.
- To reduce muscle tension drink teas of lemon balm, chamomile, and catnip.
- To relieve pain tinctures of crampbark, passionflower, and hops tinctures can promote sleep and relieve pain.
If you’re experiencing mastitis regularly, you may be exhausted. Please consider adding an adaptogen to help you cope with the stress. Herbs & homeopathy can provide great relief and reduce your chances of getting mastitis.
P.S. Don’t forget to grab this freebie, it’s packed with remedies to motivate you during this very busy time 💕