#1 Get to the root of the problem
It’s so important to figure out why they are coughing.
- Is it their diet?
- Are they sick?
- Is it an allergy?
- Is it pneumonia?
- Are they on medication?
- Have they had antibiotics?
- Do they have an earache or sore throat?
Once you get to the root cause of the cough, you can treat the cough correctly.
Diet is always first. The common food allergens that produce a cough are:
- Red food dye
Cockroaches are also the number one allergen for coughs in city areas.
If your child has been suffering for a while, have them tested for allergies.
#2 Heal your child’s gut
If your child is struggling with allergies, eczema, and asthma they may need to remove the allergy that is bothering them and then heal their gut.
Children two and older can try the 4R approach to reduce inflammation and Leaky Gut Syndrome that may have occurred from too many medications. I teach this in my course: Home Remedies For Children.
#3 Home remedies for a cough for kids
Anti-viral botanicals include:
Natural Expectorants for cough include:
- Yerba santa
- To purchase: Try Lung expectorant from Herb Pharm for kids 2+, Add Elderberry Glycerine or Lemon Balm Glycerine to the lung expectorant so it makes it tasty
Tinctures For Kids
Tincture Dosing For Children
- Younger than 3 months — 2 drops
- 3 to 6 months — 3 drops
- 6 to 9 months — 4 drops
- 9 to 12 months — 5 drops
- 12 to 18 months — 7 drops
- 18 to 24 months — 8 drops
- 2 to 3 years — 10 drops
- 3 to 4 years — 12 drops
- 4 to 6 years — 15 drops
- 6 to 9 years — 24 drops
- 9 to 12 years — 30 drops
Home remedies for a cough and throat pain
- Slippery elm
- Marshmallow root
Read more: 3 Homeopathic Remedies For A Croup Cough
Home remedies for infants
Home remedies for a cough with toddlers
5 Home Cough Remedies
- Slippery elm lozenges
- Licorice & peppermint tea
- Herb Pharm Lung expectorant add Elderberry Glycerine
- Andrographis- to prevent pneumonia
- Echinacea tincture
² Reference used: “Herbal Remedies for Children’s Health” by Rosemary Gladstar