What if you could stop a croup cough – fast?
As a new mom of twins, waking to the sound of croup was so terrifying. The classic ringing, barking cough created fear throughout the home. We’ve stopped croup many times with this easy, fast, safe remedies.
What is croup?
- Croup is an inflammation of the larynx (voice box), trachea (windpipe), and sometimes the bronchi (the air passages between the throat and the lung).
- It usually accompanies a mild upper respiratory infection and the child’s wakes with a dry, barking, ringing cough. When this ringing, barking cough subsides, I would then give natural remedies for the common cold.
- Croup usually strikes children between the ages of two and four and startles your deep sleep between 12-2 am.
I’ve found, homeopathy is the fastest way to stop a croup cough in the middle of the night.
You should only need Aconite to stop the croup, but you may want to have the other remedies on hand in case the cough continues into the morning.
Homeopathic Remedies for a Croup Cough
Take Aconite 30c at the onset of croup.
- Here the cough is dry, loud and barking and the child is exceedingly restless and anxious- usually, awakes in the middle of the night between 12-2 am.
- They are better off open-air and often, thirsty.
- These symptoms are the very picture of Aconite.
- If, after an hour, symptoms persist, give a second dose of Aconite. This is usually all that is needed. The child should be sleeping by now.
- If, however, after another hour, your child’s breathing is harsh and hard and the barking, ringing cough continues, give Spongia 30c.
- The throat is sensitive to touch; a cough sounds like a saw driven through aboard, and there is dryness of all air passages.
- Also, the child is warm and is worse for swallowing. The last potential solution you may need would be:
- If toward morning, the coughing continues and breathing is still not smooth and easy, give Hepar Sulphuris 30C.
- Here the cough is loose and rattling and deeper toned, and they have a dry, hoarse cough. The child is irritable and chilly.
- They feel like the wind is blowing on some part of their body and may want to wrap their head up or put on a hat.
- Rarely do we need more than Aconite in treating croup. When a cough has ceased, continue with tinctures for the common cold as an Echinacea tincture. I’ve added Echinacea tincture to water and given it to small children with a needless syringe or a hallow-handled teaspoon for measuring medication. For the toddler years, I’ve added the tinctures to water and apple juice in their cup for them to sip on.
Homeopathy is safe and gentle when following these guidelines.
Here are some tips:
- Take one dose of 30C when you first hear a croup cough. 30C is a safe potency for children. Please do not purchase anything higher unless suggested by a professional.
- Wait 20 minutes and notice any changes.
- If the child is not asleep, give a second dose.
- At this point, the child should be sleeping.
- If they are not sleeping, see the remedy for Spongia Tosta.
Whenever using homeopathic medicine follow the rules of “like cures like.” You are watching the child for any unusual symptoms, writing down anything you see or hear. You only give the treatment when you symptoms match the remedy. STOP giving doses when the child’s energy shifts, they look better, sound better or maybe they begin to drink water or eat something.
Please note I am not a doctor and none of the information replaces the suggestions from your doctor.
If you have any questions, please note below.
~ Tara Gregorio